Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Spaghetti Bolognese

Makes about 4 regular size portions
1/2 small onion (chopped fine)
1/2 stalk celery (chopped fine)
1 small carrot (chopped fine)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
3 large mushrooms (chopped)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 lb ground beef
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste
Boil water and cook spaghetti according to directions on package. To make it GFCF substitute regular spaghetti for rice pasta.
Saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil to soften, about 5 minutes. Add beef and brown. Add mushrooms and chopped tomatoes. Cook down, 3-5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste. Cook a few more minutes. Add tomato sauce and the other tbsp of oil. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Keep tasting and season as needed.

Mamma's Note: This recipe is based entirely on tasting.

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to make this! This is a meal all three of us would enjoy (which is hard to find--those two are so picky!). I wonder if it would be good with ground turkey? Either way, I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete