Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Coconut-Apricot Macaroons

I really wanted something tasty but cookies just didn't seem right so when I came across this recipe in Everyday Food I thought why not? I knew that at the least Fabrizio would have fun making them even if he didn't love eating them. As it turned out it was a win win situation.

This recipe is: wheat free, gluten free, vegetarian, dairy free, corn free, rice free, and soy free.

Contains: egg, almond, coconut

Alterations: If you have a nut allergy, simply omit the almond extract.



3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp pure almond extract (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1 package (14 oz) sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup soft dried apricots coarsely chopped (I love the apricots from Trader Joe's)

Preheat the oven to 325. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl whisk together egg whites, sugar, almond extract and salt until frothy. Add coconut and apricots; mix to combine.

Using your hands, shape mixture into mounds, each equal to 2 level tablespoons; place 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet (macaroons will not spread).

Bake until lightly golden, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Transfer macaroons to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 1 week. Makes about 20.


* Recipe from Everyday Food Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment