Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Friday, December 10, 2010

creamy fettuccine with leeks, corn and arugula

This dish is: Vegetarian, Nut Free, Soy Free
Contains: Dairy, Wheat, Gluten, Corn and Egg

Alternatives:To make this dish wheat/gluten free use a gluten free pasta. I prefer Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta over a rice noodle. Unfortunately, I don't really think there is a good way to make this dish dairy free but am open to suggestions!

Last night I wanted a creamy rich pasta and remembered this delicious dish. Thankfully, I had all of the ingredients on hand. At first the arugula seems like an odd twist but it works. As my husband says it reminds him of a meal that we would most likely get in Ticino, minus the corn.


12 oz fettuccine (3/4 box)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into thin half moons
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups baby arugula
1/4 grated pecorino

Cook the pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir occasionally until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add the corn and wine. Simmer another 2-3 minutes. Lower the heat and stir in the cream.

Add the pasta to the pan and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine, then fold in the arugula. Sprinkle with pecorino before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment