Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Risotto

This recipe is: Gluten free, Wheat free, Dairy free, Soy free, Egg free, Nut Free,Vegan
Contains: Rice

1 cup arborio rice
1 32oz container of Gluten Free Vegetable Broth
1 zucchini -sliced and cut into half moons
1/2 onion -finely chopped
1 leek -sliced thin and cut into half moons
1/2 package button mushrooms - stems removed and sliced
1/2 cup peas
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine (plus a glass for yourself)

In a medium sauce pan heat the broth over low heat. In a large heavy bottomed pot heat olive oil. Add onion, cook on medium low for a few minutes until translucent. Add leeks and mushrooms cook another 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and stir until it turns clear. Add the wine and cook until it is absorbed. Then add a ladle of broth. Stir occasionally. When absorbed add another ladle. Repeat. When you've used half of the broth add the zucchini and peas. Mix together. Add more broth and repeat as before until finished.

**The best thing about risotto is that you can add just about any vegetables that you want. It's a delicious way to make use of left over veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment