Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Quinoa Tabbouleh

This recipe is: vegan, dairy free, wheat free, gluten free, soy free, egg free, nut free, rice free, corn free

Pair with gluten-free, vegan falafels and you've got a winner!


3/4 cup quinoa
2 large vine ripe tomatoes
2 scallions, finely sliced
a handful of mint
a handful of Italian flat leaf parsley
1 lemon, juice of lemon only
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

In a saucepan add quinoa and 1 cup of cool water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.

Empty cooked quinoa into a large bowl to cool. Meanwhile, cut an X into the tops of the tomatoes, place in a heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water, let steep 2-3 minutes. Remove from water, peel off the skins, take out the seeds and dice.

Add tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of quinoa and mix. Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment