Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Friday, November 12, 2010

Lentil Soup with Lemon

This recipe is: Dairy Free, Soy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Chicken Free, Egg Free, Nut Free


1 ½ cups dry lentils, washed
7-8 cups water
4 vegetable bouillon cubes
2 medium potatoes
1 large bunch Swiss chard
1 medium onion, finely chopped
6 Tbsp olive oil
1 bunch fresh cilantro (or 2 Tbsp dry)
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

In a 5 quart kettle, combine lentils, 7 cups water and bouillon cubes. Cover and bring to a simmer.
Dice the potato into ½” cubes and add.
Wash and drain chard. Cut off heaviest part of stems and slice leaves into ½” wide strips and add to soup.
Simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
In small frying pan, heat olive oil and slowly sauté onion. Stir often until soft and golden-about 12-15 minutes. Don’t brown.
Stir in the ground cumin and cook a minute or two.
Set aside ¼ of the cilantro leaves, finely chop the remaining ¾ and add it and the garlic to the onion and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add to the soup. Stir in salt, pepper, lemon juice and the remaining cup of water if needed to thin the soup.
Serve with the reserved cilantro.
Makes 10 cups

Recipe from Jennifer B.

Mammazen Note: I made this last weekend for my in-laws and it was a huge hit!! Thank you Jennifer for contributing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment