Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

German Potato Salad

This recipe is: gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, soy free
Contains: eggs, bacon, potatoes
Alternatives: To make this egg free chose a vegan mayonnaise, to make it vegan omit the bacon


At the local farmers market I came across an stall selling locally made sausages. While I am not a bratwurst fan, my boys are and at being gluten and casein free I was sold. The potato salad made a perfect pairing.


1 1/2 lbs potatoes, scrubbed
1 tbsp olive oil
4 strips bacon, chopped
2 tsp lemon juice
2 to 3 tbsp relish
1 stalk celery finely chopped
1 tsp Dijon or German mustard
3 tbsp dairy free/soy free mayonnaise
2 tbsp chives, chopped (red onion also works)
1 tbsp parsley
salt and pepper to taste


Cook the potatoes in a pot of salted water for 15 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and let cool for 5 minutes, then slice thickly and set aside in a bowl.
Meanwhile, in a fry pan cook bacon until crispy. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
In the fry pan keep 2 tbsp bacon grease, add lemon juice and olive oil then pour over the sliced potatoes. Add the celery, onion or chives and half the bacon. Mix well. Let cool.
Blend the mustard in a small bowl with the mayonnaise, parsley and salt and pepper. Add to the potatoes and toss well to coat. Spoon the potatoes into a serving bowl or onto plates and top with remaining bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment