Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Moroccan Turkey Meatloaf



This recipe is free of: soy, dairy, nuts, gluten, wheat, beef
Contains: egg and rice
Substitutions: If egg is an issue try subbing the egg for 2 tbsp oil. You can also sub the rice for quinoa or couscous (couscous contains wheat and gluten).

1 1/2 cups raisins
1 small red onion, chopped
1 cup cooked rice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 lb ground turkey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 pint grape tomatoes



Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup of the raisins, half the onion, the rice, salt, curry powder and 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon. Add turkey and egg; mix well. Pat mixture into a foil lined greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake in the top third of the oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.

Meanwhile for the chutney, in a saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup raisins, half of the onion, remaining cinnamon, the tomatoes and 1/4 cup water. Cook, covered, over medium high heat, until tomatoes pop. Lift meatloaf from pan with foil. Cut into slices and serve with tomato chutney.

* Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment