Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Green Chili Pork Burritos (aka, Carnitas)

This recipe is: dairy free, soy free, nut free, egg free
Contains: gluten, wheat

Alternatives: If you're allergic to wheat or gluten like my son is substitute the beer for water.

This is a recipe contributed by my dear friend Jennifer and I can't thank her enough. It is flavorful, juicy and just plain delicious!! She sent me this recipe a few weeks ago and I was saving it for when we were on our ski trip in Colorado. For some reason I just new that this would be the perfect place to try it out. It worked perfectly for our post ski meal and I'm pretty certain it would be great on a hot day with a couple of margaritas.



2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into chunks
1 bottle of beer
1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles
1 tbsp fresh garlic, chopped
2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
Serve with:
3-4 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
2 limes, cut into 8 pieces
1-2 avocados, sliced
1 cup cooked rice
corn tortillas, warmed
1 can black beans, rinsed
salsa

Cube the pork into chunks that will allow them to brown evenly in a sauté pan. Coat the pork chunks with olive oil, salt and pepper. Preheat a sauté pan until very hot. Evenly brown the pork on all sides to a dark caramel color. Place the pork, beer, diced green chiles, fresh chopped garlic, and fresh cilantro into a slow cooker and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or 4 hours on high. When done, remove the pork from the cooker and reserve the liquid. Shred up the pork and spoon sauce over pork. Fill tortillas and serve with rice and beans! Great with guacamole and sour cream!

It can also be served as a bowl, which I did with the leftovers...muy bueno!





1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked it! I will have to make bowls next time like you did!

    ReplyDelete