Hi! My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a child who has food allergies -wheat, soy, dairy, chicken and beef. When I found out I did what any parent would do -I stocked up on cookbooks dedicated to those with allergies and then cleaned out the kitchen of all the offending foods. Afterall, we weren't going to eat lasagna in front of our son while he snacks on a rice cake.

Now nearly a year into this I've figured out how to alter recipes, seperate ingredients and give my family food that they all love (and can eat) without me having to make multiple meals.

Please take advantage of what I've learned!

Monday, March 21, 2011

lentils with white wine

2 tbsp olive oil
1 carrot, chopped
4 small shallots
2 1/2 cups dried green lentils
6 cups vegetable broth (gluten free)
1 16oz can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 cup dry white wine (plus one glass for the chef)
A handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
pepper to taste

chopped cilantro
limes, halved

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and carrots, saute for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent.

Add the lentils and stir to coat with oil. Add the broth, tomatoes, wine, parsley, bay leaf and pepper. Let simmer over low heat with the lid ajar until the lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 hour.

Serve in shallow bowls with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro and lime juice.

**If you can eat dairy, top with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment